10+ Must Eats in Oahu



Who plans their vacation around food? I definitely do 😋😎

I went to Oahu earlier this year and had a whole list of things to do and EAT! Before the pictures that will make you salivate, let me reminisce with a few non-food pictures. 

Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
Lanikai Beach
Lanikea Turtle Beach in the North Shore



Here are list of 10 food items and places you MUST eat when you're in Oahu.



1) Poke

There are lot of great places to pick up some poke, but I really enjoyed my poke from Ono Poke. Or you can go to local grocery stores, like foodland and get some as well. 


Location: Ono Seafood
Location: Foodland


2) Spam Musubi

Spam Musubi's are the best snacks to go. They're perfect to bring with you for a drive, early small breakfast or even bring back for airplane snacks (which I all did!). My favorite thing was when I bought a few after a day at Waikiki, went back up to my hotel and sat outside the deck enjoying the view. At Disney's Aulani hotel, you can get cute Mickey mouse shaped ones!

Location: Musubi Cafe Iyasume

Location: Disney's Aulani resort

3) Garlic Shrimp

I am sure there is a debate on the island's best garlic shrimps, but one thing I know is that you must get some while you're in Hawaii! I went to the popular Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in North Shore. Protip: Bring wetwipes! 

Also found in the north shore is Ted's Bakery, where you can get the fan favorite haupia pie and their garlic shrimp version (no peeling necessary).

In my opinion, peeling is worth it because it keeps the shrimp juicy.

Location: Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Location: Ted's Bakery


4) Shave Ice

A visit to Hawaii is not complete without having some Shave Ice (fyi, it's not 'shaved' ice). My favorite I had during my trip was at Waiola Shave Ice.

I also went to the very popular Matsumoto in North Shore. Though it was good, I preferred the texture at Waiola's; it was SOOOO smooth!
Location: Waiola Shave Ice
Location: Matsumoto Shave Ice

5) Loco Moco

Location: Rainbow Drive-In
Loco consists of white rice, topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy. Aka you should probably not eat this before hitting the beach, lol.

6) Hawaiian Plate

I hope I am correct, but I believe a hawaiian plate is the simple plate combintion of steamed rice, creamy macaroni (mac) salad and a choice of meat (kalua pork, chicken katsu, poke, etc). Basically something my filipino-self could eat almost everyday (ha!). 

I went to Alicia's market and got the yummy pork plate. This spot is truly a gem unfortunately they had a fire in June so they are closed until further notice 😔

Location: Alicia's Market


7) Pancakes

I knew I wanted to order some pancakes during my trip. I had guava pancakes from Cinnamon's on my to-do list and so glad I crossed that off. Protip: Share!! It's HUGE.

Additionally I had banana macadamia pancakes from Hula Grill in Waikiki. 
Location: Cinnamon's 
Location: Hula Grill
8) Udon

Little did I know I would come to Marukame not once, not twice...but THREE times. My boyfriend loved this place because it was such an affordable AND delicious option. I loved it too because you got to choose different soup bases and get items off the tempura bar. 
Location: Marukame Udon 

9) Malasadas

These sugary 'doughnuts' are actually Portuguese. But you can find them in Oahu at Leonard's bakery. I preferred the non-filled regular ones are thee best. These are best fresh. 
Location: Leonard's Bakery

10) Tonkatsu

Be prepared to wait at Tonkatsu Tamafuji, a restaurant off the main Waikiki strip. But on the flip side- be prepared to enjoy delicious tonkatsu dishes. 


Pork Tender Loin Tonkatsu
Shrimp Tonkatsu

Honorable Mentions

Since I have a food instagram account: ktellsfooddiary, I took lots of pictures. So there are other photos from my trip, all worthy as must eats!

Vanilla & Dole Whip Swirl from Disney's Aulani

Modo Donuts 
Hawaiian Late from Honolulu Coffee 


Acai Bowl from Island Vintage Coffee

Oxtail Ramen from Ramen Nakamura

Corn & Cheese ice cream from Magnolia's Ice Cream 
Taro Pie from McDonalds




Comments

Popular Posts